If you have been ignoring everything I say, tweet, Facebook post, or blog for the past 3 months, there’s a small possibility that you may not know that one of my 30 Before 30 goals was to be in a musical, and that I’m therefore part of the chorus for this year’s Durham Savoyards production of Princess Ida. If you live in the Durham-ish area, I would love for you to come see the show! And here are the reasons why you should:
9. You can choose from 4 different dates! The show runs Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights at 8:00 p.m. and Sunday at 2:00 p.m.
8. Tickets start at $10– that’s about the price of a movie! And if you order them from me (by Tuesday afternoon at the latest), I can get you the cast member discount!
7. The music is gorgeous. You don’t have to be familiar with opera, Gilbert & Sullivan, or really music in general to be able to appreciate it. Memorable melodies and great harmonies make it really accessible.
6. There are fight scenes. I get to have a weapon.
5. It’s family friendly! The music is up-tempo and fun, there are lots of funny lines, the costumes are bright & pretty, there’s some slapstick comedy, and there are two intermissions, so even your little wiggly ones should be ok.
4. Men dressed as ladies. If that reason alone is not enough, I don’t know what else to say.
3. You will feel terribly guilty if you don’t come because I have been working so hard. Dudes, I am singing and dancing at the same time. In public! On a stage! While wearing a dress! It’s a very big deal. Also, if you wait around in the lobby after the show, I will come out and talk to you and thank you profusely for coming to the show, and you will miss that if you don’t come…
2. If you want to see me at all this week or this weekend, this will be your only chance. The two locations I will be until Monday: work or the Carolina Theatre. Seriously.
1. It’s gonna be awesome! The cast is amazing, the set is awesome, the venue is beautiful– I promise you’ll enjoy it!